Joseph Ballard

North Andover Old Burying Ground

In 1692, North Andover was known simply as “Andover.” It became embroiled in the witchcraft in July 1692 when Joseph Ballard brought several of the afflicted girls there to determine the cause of his wife’s illness. Within several weeks, over fifty people were accused of witchcraft. Many of them confessed. The accusations in Andover abated after an unknown Boston man threatened to bring a slander suit against those who had accused him.

Location Icon

North Andover, Massachusetts 01845

Clock Icon

7AM - 6PM

Phone Icon

(978) 744-0924

North Andover, Massachusetts 01845