On the corner of St. Peter Street (formerly Prison Lane) and Brown Street stands St. Peter’s Church. Founded in 1733/34 as the first Anglican Church in Salem, the original church building was a yellow, wooden structure, built on land donated by wealthy Salem merchant Philip English. The present granite building was designed in 1833 by Isaiah Rogers and was enlarged in 1845/46. The chapel was added to the rear of the building in 1871, at which time some of the gravestones were moved to the front of the church. The buried are still under the chapel, including the remains of Philip English, who died in 1736 and was buried in the churchyard. There is no stone marking Philip English’s final resting place.