More About Site of Second Meetinghouse/First Church of Danvers

Reverend Parris’s replacement Joseph Green came to Salem Village in 1698. He was only twenty-two, and a recent graduate of Harvard College. Prior to moving to Salem Village, he was a schoolmaster in Roxbury, MA. He was ordained shortly after in November of 1698, and subsequently married the daughter of Reverend Gerrish from Wenham.

 

Even at the young age of twenty-two, Green was well-suited to reconcile the warring factions in Salem Village. He undertook the substantial task of bringing the “dissenting brethren” back into the Village church. Two years after his arrival, he reseated the congregation so that Putnams and Nurses regularly sat together. In addition, he rescinded the excommunication of witch trials victim Martha Corey. The actions of this young minister were instrumental in helping Salem Village community move past the terrible events of 1692.

 

In 1708, Reverend Green encouraged Salem Village to build a school and hire a person “to teach their children to read and write and cypher and everything that is good,” and initiated an annual Thanksgiving collection for the poor. One of the first to be helped by this charity was William Good, the widower of the executed Sarah Good and father of Dorothy Good.

 

Joseph Green died in 1715 at the age of 40, after serving as Salem Village minister for eighteen years. He is buried in Wadsworth Cemetery in Danvers.

 

Additional Note: The building that stands on this site today is a modern one, built in 1980.