Danvers Historical Society

13 Page Street.

The Danvers Historical Society has several objects pertinent to the witchcraft including artifacts uncovered at the excavation of the Salem Village parsonage in 1970. The basement houses the Brehaut Witchcraft Collection, the largest collection of written works about the hysteria. The building is open to the public. There is an admission charge.

Location Icon

13 Page St, Danvers, MA 01923

13 Page St, Danvers, MA 01923

Danvers Historical SocietyDanvers Historical SocietyDanvers Historical Society

Amesbury

Originally part of Salisbury, MA (1640), “New Town,” on the left bank of the Powwow River (a tributary of the Merrimack) officially became Amesbury in 1668.

Macy-Colby House

Open Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm, Memorial Day to Labor Day. Donations appreciated.

The Macy-Colby House is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Susannah Martin House Marker

Marker of Susannah Martin’s House located at the end of Martin Road, which intersects with Route 110 about one-half mile west of the intersection of Routes 110 and 150.

Haverhill

Founded in 1640 and officially purchased from the Native American Pentuckets in 1642, this northern Massachusetts town was originally called Pentucket.

Buttonwoods Museum/John Ward House

Open in season Tuesday-Saturday, 10-5, Sunday 12-5

Adults $7; Children $3; Senior $5

Pentucket Cemetery

Located at the intersection of Water and Mill Streets.

Salem

Salem is the county seat of Essex, Massachusetts. It was founded in 1626 by Roger Conant and incorporated three years later.

Broad Street Cemetery

Located on Broad Street, between Winthrop and Summer Streets. Open to the public until dusk each day.

Charter Street Cemetery

Here are buried four persons connected with the witchcraft:

Magistrate John Hathorne,  Bartholomew Gedney, Mary Corry, and Reverend Nicholas Noyes.

Essex Institute

The Essex Institute houses the bulk of the original documents pertaining to the accusations, examinations, trials, and executions of the witches.

Jonathan Corwin House

This house was probably built in the early 1670s and not in 1642. Jonathan Corwin, a Salem merchant, purchased the house from Nathaniel Davenport of Boston in 1675 and was living here in 1692.

Path to Gallows Hill

In 1692, the Salem jail stood on St. Peter Street (then called “Prison Lane”) near its intersection with Federal Street.

Saint Peter's Church

This church was established In 1733 largely through the support of the wealthy Salem merchant Philip English. English was accused of witchcraft in 1692 but escaped from prison and fled to New York.

Salem Public Library

370 Essex Street

978-744-0860

Open daily

Site of the Meetinghouse of the First Church in Salem

Marker located on Essex Street near the southeast corner of its intersection with Washington Street.

 

Site of Reverend Nicholas Noyes Home

Nicholas Noyes was the assistant reverend in Salem during the witchcraft trials of 1692. The site of his home was approximately at 90 Washington Street.

Site of the Salem Courthouse in 1692

The location of the 1692 Courthouse is noted on a marker at 70 Washington Street.

 

Site of Stephen Sewall Home

The Court Clerk during the witchcraft trials was Stephen Sewall, whose home was located in the vicinity of 1 Sewall Street.

Summit of Gallows Hill

The Salem witchcraft authority, Charles W. Upham, chose this hill as the probable site of the hangings of the nineteen condemned witches in 1692. Executions for witchcraft occurred here on June 10, July 19, August 19, and September 22.

Witch Trials Memorial

Keep in mind this memorial site is dedicated to those who lost their lives in 1692

Salisbury

Salisbury is the northernmost town in Massachusetts, bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the east and New Hampshire to the north.

Colonial Burying Ground

Located on Route 1A, two-tenths of a mile east of its intersection with Route 110.

Robert Pike Historical Marker

Marks the location of the Robert Pike Homestead, built in 1639.

Wenham

Wenham, MA, was once part of Salem. This small, rural town seven miles north of present-day Salem was incorporated in 1643.

Claflin-Gerrish-Richards House

132 Main Street, opposite its intersection with Monument Street.

Old Wenham Burying Ground

Located on Main Street (Route 1A) in Wenham, a short distance north of Wenham Lake.

Solart-Woodward House

106 Main Street in Wenham, a short distance north of the Wenham Burying Ground.

Ambrose Gale House

17 Franklin Street, between Washington and Selman Streets.

Ancient Burial Ground

Reverend John Hale, minister in Beverly, is buried here in the Hale family plot.

Ancient North Beverly Cemetery

Ancient North Beverly Cemetery

Beverly Historical Society

Located at 117 Cabot Street between Franklin Place and Central Street).

 

Sarah Bishop House

238 Conant Street

Accused witches Sarah and Edward Bishop lived in this house in 1692. Examined in Salem Village on April 22 and held for trial, they escaped from Salem jail in October, and avoided execution.

Copp's Hill Burying Ground

Mather Tomb: beneath a simple table stone are buried three ministers of the powerful Mather family: Increase, Cotton, and Samuel–father, son, and grandson, respectively.

Danvers Historical Society

13 Page St, Danvers, MA 01923

Essex Street Burying Ground, Roxbury

Located at the intersection of Eustis and Washington Streets in Roxbury.

 

First Church

Corner of Hobart and Centre Streets.

 

Foundations of the 1692 Parsonage

Located behind 67 Centre Street.

These are the foundations of the Salem Village parsonage where the hysteria began. It was here, in the home of the Reverend Samuel Parris and his wife, Elizabeth, that the circle of girls met in the winter months of 1691-92 to listen to Tituba’s tales of magic and the occult.

Granary Burying Ground

Samuel Sewall, a justice on the Court of Oyer and Terminer, is buried beneath a red sandstone table stone in the northwest portion of the cemetery (Plate 18). The stone’s surface is inscribed: “Honl. Judge Sewall’s Tomb Now the property of his Heirs Philip R. Ridgway 1810 Ralph Huntington 1812 No. 185 Ralph Huntington.”

John Hale House

Hale built this house in 1694 and lived here until his death on 15 May 1700. A graduate of Harvard College in 1657, Hale became minister of the First Church in Beverly in 1665, a position he held for over thirty years.

John Proctor House

On Lowell Street, one-tenth mile south of its intersection with Prospect Street

Joseph Ballard

In 1692, North Andover was known simply as “Andover.” It became embroiled in the witchcraft in July 1692 when Joseph Ballard brought several of the afflicted girls there to determine the cause of his wife’s illness.

Joseph Putnam House

Southeast portion of cloverleaf intersection of Route 1 and Route 62.

 

King's Chapel Burial Ground

Located at the intersection of Tremont and School Streets. Two people connected with the witchcraft are buried here. Also remembered here are: Major General Wait Still Winthrop, Thomas Brattle, and Thomas Newton

Nathaniel Ingersoll's Ordinary

199 Hobart St, Danvers, MA 01923

Old Burial Hill

Off Orne Street, immediately adjacent to Redd’s Pond.

Old Burying Ground, Dorchester

In this ancient cemetery, beneath an imposing marble table stone adorned with skulls, lies buried William Stoughton, the chief justice of the Court of Oyer and Terminer. Stoughton was born in 1631 and graduated from Harvard College in 1650.

Putnam Cemetery

Located off a small asphalt path which begins at the entrance road to the Massachusetts Department of Public Works on Route 62, just west of its intersection with Route 1.

 

Rebecca Nurse House

149 Pine Street, located near the intersection of Pine and Adams Streets.

The Rebecca Nurse Homestead is owned and operated by the Danvers Alarm List Company.

Redd's Pond

Located at the intersection of Pond and Norman Streets.

Sarah Holten House

171 Holten Street at the intersection of Holten and Centre Streets.

 

Sarah Osborne House

272 Maple Street opposite Gorman Road.

This house, constructed c. 1660, was the home of Sarah Osborne in 1692. Sarah Osborne, Sarah Good, and Tituba Indian were the first persons accused of witchcraft by the circle of girls.

Wadsworth Cemetery

Located on Summer Street, about one-tenth mile north of its intersection with Maple Street. Several persons connected with the hysteria are buried here.

 

Rev Thomas Barnard House

Old Burying Ground