It has been speculated that Nathaniel Saltonstall’s recusal from the witchcraft trails influenced the Haverhill community, preventing the witchcraft accusations from escalating the way they did in the neighboring town of Andover.
Nevertheless, at least five Haverhill women were accused of witchcraft, though none were executed.
Martha Emerson was brought by Haverhill Constable William Starling to Salem Town for examination on July 23. Emerson was the daughter of Billerica folk-healer Roger Toothaker and Mary Toothaker. Goodwife Toothaker’s sister was Martha Carrier, who would be accused, convicted, and executed on August 19. Martha Emerson was accused of tormenting Mary Warren and Mary Lacy Jr., as well as supposedly harnessing a man with an enchanted bridle. She denied both charges. When pressed about her use of counter-magic, taught to her by her father, Roger Toothaker, Goody Emerson confessed to that, and more. She implicated her aunt, Martha Carrier, and also Mary Green of Haverhill. Jailed for hurting Mary Warren, Emerson then changed her mind and professed innocence. She had thought that confessing would keep her free, but she remained in jail. On January 10, 1693, her case was declared ignoramus, meaning “we are uninformed,” or “without sufficient evidence.”
On July 30, Constable Starling escorted Mary Green of Haverhill to Salem Town for questioning, accompanied by Green’s husband, Peter. Little is known of Goody Green’s examination, except that she was said to have owned a real, or spectral, pig. On August 2, Goodwife Green’s brother-in-law, John Shepard of Rowley, broke her out of the Ipswich Jail where she had been held. However, she was found and returned. On August 23, Goody Green escaped again, only to be recaptured by Ipswich Constable William Baker a day later and once again returned to jail. On December 13, Green was among the petitioners to the governor, asking to be released. She feared she would not survive the winter in jail. Green obtained her release on December 16 after a £200 bond was posted. Her husband is known to have petitioned for restitution for the 19 weeks of prison charges and the cost of bond in 1710, for which he received payment in 1712.
Haverhill’s Mary Clark was examined on August 4 in Salem Town, brought in by Constable Starling. She, or her specter, was accused of tormenting Mary Walcott, Ann Putnam Jr. and Timothy Swan. Putnam said that Clark had afflicted her by pinching, choking and striking her. It was claimed her specter had been seen eating and drinking at a witch meeting. Clark denied the charges. She was jailed but the records don’t indicate the date of her release. She was thought to have been living in Haverhill in 1714.
Frances Hutchins and Ruth Wilford
An arrest warrant was issued for Frances Hutchins and Ruth Wilford on August 18, after a complaint issued by Timothy Swan, Mary Walcott, and Ann Putnam Jr. A day later, Constable Starling arrested Hutchins, a wealthy widow who had managed her husband’s business affairs in his last years, and brought her to Salem Town. Her arrival was overshadowed by the greater excitement of yet another hanging – five were executed on Proctor’s Ledge that day. Constable Starling was unable to locate Wilford until the 20th, but ultimately escorted her to Salem Town on the 22nd for her examination. On December 21, the Widow Hutchins’ son Samuel, who represented Haverhill at the General Court in Boston, posted a £200 bond to free his mother from jail. Records on Wilford’s release have not yet been found.
Use CTRL and scroll up to zoom in the map
Originally part of Salisbury, MA (1640), “New Town,” on the left bank of the Powwow River (a tributary of the Merrimack) officially became Amesbury in 1668.
The Old Burying Point Cemetery, also known as the Charter Street Cemetery, is the oldest cemetery in Salem, and one of the oldest in the United States. Opened in 1637, it is the final resting place of several Salem notables. (King’s Chapel Burying Ground in Boston is the oldest, founded in 1630.)
The only structure still standing in Salem that has a direct connection to the witchcraft trials and is open to the public is the Witch House, on the corner of Essex and North Streets. This home, built circa 1675, was the residence of Judge Jonathan Corwin in 1692.
This church was established In 1733 largely through the support of the wealthy Salem merchant Philip English. English was accused of witchcraft in 1692, but ultimately escaped from prison and fled to New York to wait out the witch trials.
Located just off Charter Street, on Liberty Street, is Salem’s simple yet dramatic memorial to the 20 victims of the witch trials of 1692. This memorial was erected to mark the 300th anniversary of the Salem witch trials. The Witch Trials Memorial was dedicated on August 5, 1992 by Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor, and author Elie Wiesel, who noted, “If I can’t stop all of the hate all over the world in all of the people, I can stop it in one place within me,” adding, “We still have our Salems.”
Samuel Sewall, a justice on the Court of Oyer and Terminer, is buried beneath a red sandstone table stone in the northwest portion of the cemetery (Plate 18). The stone’s surface is inscribed: “Honl. Judge Sewall’s Tomb Now the property of his Heirs Philip R. Ridgway 1810 Ralph Huntington 1812 No. 185 Ralph Huntington.”
Hale built this house in 1694 and lived here until his death on 15 May 1700. A graduate of Harvard College in 1657, Hale became minister of the First Church in Beverly in 1665, a position he held for over thirty years.
In 1692, North Andover was known simply as “Andover.” It became embroiled in the witchcraft in July 1692 when Joseph Ballard brought several of the afflicted girls there to determine the cause of his wife’s illness.
Located at the intersection of Tremont and School Streets. Two people connected with the witchcraft are buried here. Also remembered here are: Major General Wait Still Winthrop, Thomas Brattle, and Thomas Newton
In this ancient cemetery, beneath an imposing marble table stone adorned with skulls, lies buried William Stoughton, the chief justice of the Court of Oyer and Terminer. Stoughton was born in 1631 and graduated from Harvard College in 1650.
By 1692, widow Mary Gedney was licensed to “sell drink out-of-doors” from this home, earning money that helped support her children. Mary Gedney, as well as her sister-in-law, both provided refreshments for the jurors and witnesses during the Salem witch trials.
Set back from Washington Street is the beautiful Federal style home built for the successful merchant Joshua Ward in 1784. The property has older connections that date back to the witchcraft trials. Today, visitors can still see ragged stones along the building’s foundation, which are all that remain of the 1692 home of George Corwin.
Judge John Hathorne was one of the most vocal participants during the Salem witch trials. Judge Hathorne lived south of the Town House/Salem Courthouse in 1692, on present-day Washington Street, a short walk from home to court.
Bridget Bishop was not the first to be accused of witchcraft but she was the first to be executed for the crime in 1692. At the time of the trials, she was married to her third husband, the elderly sawyer Edward Bishop. When arrested, Bridget was living on the property she inherited from her second husband Thomas Oliver, on present-day Washington Street in Salem Town.
In 1692, the Salem jail was located on Prison Lane, today known as St. Peter Street. The building, at the corner of Prison Lane and County Street (present-day Federal Street) measured “thirteen feet stud, and twenty feet square, accommodated with a yard.”
Site of Reverend Higginson Home/Salem Witch Museum
In 1692, the property where the museum and one building on each side stand today belonged to Reverend John Higginson. It is believed his home was located close to the street, approximately where the museum is located. At 76, Reverend Higginson was the elderly minister of Salem, assisted by the 45-year-old Nicholas Noyes. Reverend Higginson’s adult daughter, Ann Dolliver, was accused of witchcraft during the hysteria, and imprisoned.
Just down the street from the Reverend John Higginson’s property (where the Salem Witch Museum is today) was the home of his son, Captain John Higginson Jr. He was sworn in as a new Salem magistrate in July of 1692.
There were many taverns in Salem in 1692, two of which were owned by the Beadle brothers, Thomas and Samuel. It was in Thomas Beadle’sTavern, on the south side of Main Street (present-day Essex Street) and east of Salem Common that some of the accused were detained.
The House of the Seven Gables/Turner-Ingersoll Mansion
In 1668, sea captain John Turner built a multi-room house on the Salem waterfront. This house eventually came into the possession of Susanna Ingersoll, who was often visited at her home by her younger cousin, Nathaniel Hawthorne.
A simple memorial, designed by landscape architect Martha Lyon, was dedicated on July 19, 2017, the 325th anniversary of the hangings of Sarah Good, Elizabeth Howe, Susannah Martin, Rebecca Nurse, and Sarah Wildes. Embedded in the semi-circular wall are stones engraved with the names of the nineteen victims.
In 1692, convicted witches would be picked up at the jail, loaded into a cart, and escorted to the execution site by High Sheriff George Corwin, who would sign their death warrants. The path led south on Prison Lane (today St. Peter Street), right on Main Street (today Essex Street) heading west to the edge of town.