More About Colonial Burying Ground

Established in 1639, the Colonial Burying Ground (aka the Old Burial Ground and the First Cemetery), at the corner of Beach Road and Ferry Street, is the final resting place of the first five ministers of Salisbury (William Worcester, John Wheelwright, James Allen, Caleb Cushing, and Edmund Noyes) as well as members of such prominent Salisbury families as the Bradburys and the Pikes.


Several of the graves in the Colonial Burying Ground have rare wolf stones, granite slabs that were laid over graves to prevent wolves from digging up the bodies.


24 Beach Road (corner of Beach and Ferry Roads), on Route 1A, two-tenths of a mile east of the intersection with Route 110.