A short walk south down Centre Street from the site of the parsonage, at the corner of Hobart Street, is the site of Ingersoll’s ordinary (or tavern). Nathaniel Ingersoll was one of the most respected members of the Salem Village community. His tavern/inn was located at a bend on the Andover Road (today Centre Street), a convenient stop for travelers and a gathering center for the village. The earliest part of the building that stands here today was built circa 1670. According to historian Charles Upham, in 1692, the Ingersoll garden abutted the parsonage orchards. Upham also describes the Ingersoll property with a separate dwelling house from the ordinary, as well as the town’s watch house, where sentinels guarded against Native American attack. Ingersoll lived on this property for seventy years.
The first three to be accused of witchcraft in 1692 – Tituba, Sarah Osborne (alternate spellings Osburn, Osborn, Osbourne), and Sarah Good were scheduled to be examined here on March 1, but so many people turned up to witness the event that it had to be moved down the road to the meetinghouse to accommodate the crowd. Nevertheless, the attendees spent lots of money for tavern refreshments that day – on food, cider, and rum.