Jonathan Danforth was one of the earliest settlers of Billerica, who arrived there in 1654, was town recorder (or clerk) for 30 years, and became a well-known surveyor of an extensive area of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. He served as militia captain during King Philip’s War and helped fortify the town. His house was used as a garrison during the war. Jonathan had two equally-illustrious brothers – Thomas Danforth, who was Deputy Governor of Massachusetts (1679-1686 and 1689-1692) and a magistrate of the Superior Court of Judicature (late 1692-1699). Thomas was present for the April 11, 1692 examinations of Elizabeth Proctor and Sarah Cloyce in Salem, and, when the trials were over, he gave land to families of witch trials victims, including the Cloyces, who were among the founders of Framingham, MA. Samuel Danforth was a Puritan minister, poet, and astronomer, who was the second pastor of The First Church of Roxbury.