Salem is the county seat of Essex, Massachusetts. It was founded in 1626 by Roger Conant and incorporated three years later. In 1692, it was known as Salem Town (as opposed to Salem Village, the modern-day town of Danvers). While the initial accusations began and grew in Salem Village, the actual court proceedings took place in Salem Town. Between June and September of 1692 nineteen people were condemned at the courthouse that was located on present-day Washington Street. These individuals were ultimately hanged on Proctor’s Ledge at Gallows Hill, while a twentieth victim, Giles Corey, was pressed to death in a Salem field for refusing to stand trial. In addition, five others died in jail.