Salem Witch Trials- Secondary Sources
*A secondary source is a historian or author’s analysis of an event, using direct or firsthand evidence.
- Baker, Emerson. A Storm of Witchcraft
- Breslaw, Elaine. Tituba, Reluctant Witch of Salem
- Hite, Richard. In the Shadow of Salem
- Hill, Frances. A Delusion of Satan
- Hill, France. The Salem Witch Trials Reader
- Karlsen, Carol. The Devil in the Shape of a Woman.
- Norton, Mary Beth. In The Devil’s Snare.
- Roach, Marilynne. The Salem Witch Trials, A Day-by-Day Chronicle
- Roach, Marilynne. Six Women of Salem
- Rosenthal, Bernard. Salem Story
- Upham, Charles. Salem Witchcraft
Witch Trials Era- Secondary Sources
- Bruner, Sigird. Fearless Wives and Frightened Shrews
- Cohn, Norman. Europe’s Inner Demons
- Davies, Owen. The Oxford Illustrated History of Witchcraft & Magic
- Demos, John. Entertaining Satan
- Godbeer, Richard. Escaping Salem: The Other Witch Hunt of 1692
- Goodare, Julian. The European Witch Trials
- Levack, Brian. The Witch-Hunt in Early Modern Europe
- Rublack, Ulinka. The Astronomer and the Witch
- Russel, Jeffery and Brooks Alexander. A History of Witchcraft: Sorcerers, Heretics and Pagans
*A primary source provides direct or firsthand evidence about an event, object, person, or work of art. Primary sources include historical and legal documents, eyewitness accounts, speeches, diaries, etc.
- Boyer, Paul and Nissenbaum, Stephen. Salem Village Witchcraft
- Calef, Robert. More Wonders of the Invisible World – https://archive.org/details/morewondersofinv01cale/page/n6/mode/2up
- Howe, Katherine. The Penguin Book of Witches
- Kors, Alan Charles and Edward Peters. Witchcraft in Europe, 400-1700 A Documentary History
- Lawson, Deodat. A Brief and True Narrative of Some Remarkable Passages Relating to Sundry Persons Afflicted by Witchcraft, at Salem Village: Which happened from the Nineteenth of March, to the Fifth of April, 1692- https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/evans/N00488.0001.001/1:3?rgn=div1;view=fulltext
- Mather, Cotton. The Wonders of the Invisible World: Being an Account of the Tryals of Several Witches Lately Executed in New-England- https://archive.org/details/wondersinvisibl00mathgoog/page/n10/mode/2up
- Mather, Increase. Cases of Conscience Concerning Evil Spirits Personating Men, Witchcrafts, Infallible Proofs of Guilt in Such as are Accused with the Crime. http://salem.lib.virginia.edu/speccol/mather/mather.html
- Rosenthal, Bernard, ed. The Records of the Salem Witch Hunt.
- Trask, Richard, ed. The Devil Hath Been Raised.
- Hale, John. A Modest Enquiry Into the Nature of Witchcraft- https://archive.org/details/AModestEnquiryIntoTheNatureOfWitchcraft/mode/2up
Recommended For Young Readers
- Aronson, Marc. Witch-Hunt (young adult)
- Duble, Kathleen. The Sacrifice (grades 5-8)
- Kathleen, Kent. Heretics Daughter (young adult)
- How, Katherine. The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane (young adult)
- Jackson, Shirley. The Witchcraft of Salem Village (grades 5-6)
- Rees, Celia. Witch Child (young adult)
- Speare, Elizabeth George. The Witch of Blackbird Pond (grades 5-8)
- Yolen, Jane. The Salem Witch Trials, An Unsolved Mystery