This cemetery was formerly known as the Old Putnam Burying Ground. Benjamin Wadsworth, the 7th minister of the First Church of Danvers (North Parish) which he served for 53 years, purchased it in 1826. It has been operated by the Wadsworth Cemetery Association since 1913.
The wives of the first four ministers of Salem Village are buried here. In graves that no longer bear markings are: James Bayley’s wife Mary née Carr; George Burroughs’ first two wives Hannah née Fisher and Sarah née Ruck; and Deodat Lawson’s wife Jane (maiden name unknown). Reverend Samuel Parris’s wife Elizabeth’s gravestone is just barely readable today.