Planning a trip to the Salem Witch Museum in July? Please note, due to a private event, the Museum will close at 5 pm on Sunday, July 21 and will be closed all day on Monday, July 22. We plan to reopen on Tuesday, July 23 at 10:00 am. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Use CTRL and scroll up to zoom in the map
Welcome to Salem
Salem is the county seat of Essex, Massachusetts. It was founded in 1626 by Roger Conant and incorporated three years later.
Alice Parker Home, Site of
Alice Parker lived on the Salem waterfront. She was accused of witchcraft in the spring of 1692, and hanged on September 22.
Ann Pudeator Home, Site of
This is the site where the wealthy 70-year-old widow Ann Pudeator lived in 1692. Among other accusations, it was claimed that she had killed her two husbands. Pudeator was executed on September 22.
Blue Anchor Tavern, Site of
The Blue Anchor Tavern was one of many taverns in Salem in 1692.
Bridget Bishop Home and Orchards, Site of
Bridget Bishop was not the first to be accused of witchcraft but she was the first to be executed for the crime in 1692. At the time of the trials, she was married to her third husband, the elderly sawyer Edward Bishop. When arrested, Bridget was living on the property she inherited from her second husband Thomas Oliver, on present-day Washington Street in Salem Town.
Broad Street Cemetery
Located on Broad Street, between Winthrop and Summer Streets. Open to the public until dusk each day.
First Church of Salem Meetinghouse, Site of
The First Church of Salem was established in 1629. The meetinghouse stood at the intersection of present-day Washington and Essex Streets in 1692, on the southeast corner.
George Corwin House/Joshua Ward House
Set back from Washington Street is the beautiful Federal style home built for the successful merchant Joshua Ward in 1784. The property has older connections that date back to the witchcraft trials. Today, visitors can still see ragged stones along the building’s foundation, which are all that remain of the 1692 home of George Corwin.
John Hathorne Home, Site of
Judge John Hathorne was one of the most vocal participants during the Salem witchcraft trials. Judge Hathorne lived south of the Town House/Salem Courthouse in 1692, on present-day Washington Street, a short walk from home to court.
John Higginson Jr. Home, Site of
Just down the street from the Reverend John Higginson’s property (where the Salem Witch Museum is today) was the home of his son, Captain John Higginson Jr. He was sworn in as a new Salem magistrate in July of 1692.
Jonathan Corwin House/The Witch House
The only structure still standing in Salem that has a direct connection to the witchcraft trials and is open to the public is the Witch House, on the corner of Essex and North Streets. This home, built circa 1675, was the residence of Judge Jonathan Corwin in 1692.
Mary Gedney’s Tavern/The Gedney House
By 1692, widow Mary Gedney was licensed to “sell drink out-of-doors” from this home, earning money that helped support her children. Mary Gedney, as well as her sister-in-law, both provided refreshments for the jurors and witnesses during the Salem witch trials.
Old Burying Point/Charter Street Cemetery
The Old Burying Point Cemetery, also known as the Charter Street Cemetery, is the oldest cemetery in Salem, and one of the oldest in the United States. Opened in 1637, it is the final resting place of several Salem notables. (King’s Chapel Burying Ground in Boston is the oldest, founded in 1630.)
Path from Jail to Execution
In 1692, convicted witches would be picked up at the jail, loaded into a cart, and escorted to the execution site by High Sheriff George Corwin, who would sign their death warrants. The path led south on Prison Lane (today St. Peter Street), right on Main Street (today Essex Street) heading west to the edge of town.
Philip and Mary English Home, Site of
Philip and Mary English were accused of witchcraft in 1692. Their “Great House” was located in the vicinity of 11 Essex Street.
Proctor’s Ledge Memorial
A simple memorial, designed by landscape architect Martha Lyon, was dedicated on July 19, 2017, the 325th anniversary of the hangings of Sarah Good, Elizabeth Howe, Susannah Martin, Rebecca Nurse, and Sarah Wildes. Embedded in the semi-circular wall are stones engraved with the names of the nineteen victims.
Reverend John Higginson Home, Site of/Salem Witch Museum
In 1692, the property where the museum and one building on each side stand today belonged to Reverend John Higginson. At 76, Reverend Higginson was the elderly minister of Salem. His adult daughter, Ann Dolliver, was accused of witchcraft during the hysteria, and imprisoned.
Reverend Nicholas Noyes Home, Site of
Nicholas Noyes was the assistant reverend in Salem during the witchcraft trials of 1692. The site of his home was approximately at 90 Washington Street.
Saint Peter’s Church
This church was established In 1733 largely through the support of the wealthy Salem merchant Philip English. English was accused of witchcraft in 1692, but ultimately escaped from prison and fled to New York to wait out the witch trials.
Salem Courthouse in 1692, Site of
The location of the 1692 Courthouse is noted on a marker at 70 Washington Street.
Salem Jail in 1692, Site of
In 1692, the Salem jail was located on Prison Lane, today known as St. Peter Street. The building, at the corner of Prison Lane and County Street (present-day Federal Street) measured “thirteen feet stud, and twenty feet square, accommodated with a yard.”
Salem Public Library
370 Essex Street
Salem Witch Trials Memorial
Located just off Charter Street, on Liberty Street, is Salem’s simple yet dramatic memorial to the 20 victims of the witch trials of 1692. This memorial was erected to mark the 300th anniversary of the Salem witch trials. The Witch Trials Memorial was dedicated on August 5, 1992 by Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor, and author Elie Wiesel, who noted, “If I can’t stop all of the hate all over the world in all of the people, I can stop it in one place within me,” adding, “We still have our Salems.”
Ship Tavern aka Widow Gedney’s, Site of
The Ship Tavern was a successful business owned by Judge Bartholomew Gedney’s father. Located on Main Street in 1692, present-day Essex Street, it was in the very center of town.
Stephen Sewall Home, Site of
The Court Clerk during the witchcraft trials was Stephen Sewall, whose home was located in the vicinity of 1 Sewall Street.
The House of the Seven Gables/Turner-Ingersoll Mansion
In 1668, sea captain John Turner built a multi-room house on the Salem waterfront. This house eventually came into the possession of Susanna Ingersoll, who was often visited at her home by her younger cousin, Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Thomas Beadle’s Tavern, Site of
There were many taverns in Salem in 1692, two of which were owned by the Beadle brothers, Thomas and Samuel. It was in Thomas Beadle’s Tavern, on the south side of Main Street (present-day Essex Street) and east of Salem Common that some of the accused were detained.
Welcome to Amesbury
Originally part of Salisbury, MA (1640), “New Town,” on the left bank of the Powwow River (a tributary of the Merrimack) officially became Amesbury in 1668.
Open Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm, Memorial Day to Labor Day. Donations appreciated.
The Macy-Colby House is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Susannah Martin House Marker
Marker of Susannah Martin’s House located at the end of Martin Road, which intersects with Route 110 about one-half mile west of the intersection of Routes 110 and 150.
In 1692, North Andover was known simply as “Andover.” It became embroiled in the witchcraft in July 1692 when Joseph Ballard brought several of the afflicted girls there to determine the cause of his wife’s illness.
Ancient Burial Ground
Reverend John Hale, minister in Beverly, is buried here in the Hale family plot.
Beverly Historical Society
Located at 117 Cabot Street between Franklin Place and Central Street).
Ancient North Beverly Cemetery
Ancient North Beverly Cemetery
John Hale House
Hale built this house in 1694 and lived here until his death on 15 May 1700. A graduate of Harvard College in 1657, Hale became minister of the First Church in Beverly in 1665, a position he held for over thirty years.
King’s Chapel Burial Ground
Located at the intersection of Tremont and School Streets. Two people connected with the witchcraft are buried here. Also remembered here are: Major General Wait Still Winthrop, Thomas Brattle, and Thomas Newton
Copp’s Hill Burying Ground
Mather Tomb: beneath a simple table stone are buried three ministers of the powerful Mather family: Increase, Cotton, and Samuel–father, son, and grandson, respectively.
Granary Burying Ground
Samuel Sewall, a justice on the Court of Oyer and Terminer, is buried beneath a red sandstone table stone in the northwest portion of the cemetery (Plate 18). The stone’s surface is inscribed: “Honl. Judge Sewall’s Tomb Now the property of his Heirs Philip R. Ridgway 1810 Ralph Huntington 1812 No. 185 Ralph Huntington.”
Welcome to Danvers
A decade after the 1626 founding of Salem on the north coast of Massachusetts, a group of colonists fanned out to the north and west, five-to-seven miles from the coast, and established what came to be known as Salem Village. In January of 1692, two girls who lived in the village parsonage became “afflicted,” sparking what would become the Salem witchcraft hysteria. In 1752, Salem Village was renamed Danvers, for settler Danvers Osborn, and was officially incorporated as the town of Danvers in 1757.
Danvers Historical Society
13 Page St, Danvers, MA 01923
Edward and Sarah Bishop House
Accused witches Sarah and Edward Bishop lived in a house on this site in 1692. Examined in Salem Village on April 22 and held for trial, they escaped from Salem jail in October, and avoided execution.
First Meetinghouse of Salem Village, Site of
Near the corner of Hobart and Forest Streets, across from the Danvers Witchcraft Victims’ Memorial, is the site of the first meetinghouse of Salem Village. This was the scene of numerous examinations of accused witches.
Foundation of Salem Village Parsonage
Down a path between 67 and 69 Centre Street is the site of the Salem Village parsonage, where the spark that ignited the witch hysteria of 1692 was struck.
George Jacobs Sr. Home, Site of
George Jacobs Sr. was one of the 19 individuals executed for witchcraft during the Salem witch trials. In 1692, he lived on this property with his wife Mary and their 17-year-old granddaughter Margaret Jacobs.
Ingersoll’s ordinary (tavern) was a hub for the Salem Village community. The first three to be accused of witchcraft in 1692 were scheduled to be examined at the ordinary (though the proceedings were ultimately moved to the meetinghouse to accommodate the substantial crowds). Throughout the witch trials, both accusers and accused interacted here. The earliest part of the building that stands today was built circa 1670.
John and Mary (Nurse) Tarbell House, Site of
Daughter and son-in-law of Rebecca Nurse, Mary and John Tarbell, lived on this land in 1692. John was one of the “dissenting brethren” who remained absent from church in the years following the witch trials who continued to push Reverend Parris for an apology or acknowledgment that he mishandled the witch trials.
John Houlton House
Owned by John Houlton, the son of Joseph and Sarah Houlton. During the 1692 witch trials, John Houlton filed a complaint against several accused “witches.”
Joseph Houlton House
Joseph Houlton was an important landowner and member of the Salem Village community. In 1692, Houlton, his wife Sarah, and their son Joseph Houlton Jr. all signed a petition in support of their neighbor Rebecca Nurse, defending her against witchcraft accusations.
Joseph Putnam House
Southeast portion of cloverleaf intersection of Route 1 and Route 62.
Mary Walcott Home, Site of
17-year-old Mary Walcott was one of the initial quartet of girls to exhibit signs of affliction in early 1692. Living just a few hundred years north of the parsonage, Mary became afflicted in March of 1692 and remained a principle accuser throughout the trials.
Located off a small asphalt path which begins at the entrance road to the Massachusetts Department of Public Works on Route 62, just west of its intersection with Route 1.
Rebecca Nurse Homestead
The Rebecca Nurse Homestead is one of the most important sites to visit in Danvers. Located on Pine Street, it is open from May through November. It is owned and operated by the Danvers Alarm List Company.
Samuel and Mary Sibley Home, Site of
Nearby neighbors of both the meetinghouse and the parsonage, Mary Sibley and her husband both held brief, yet important, roles in the witchcraft delusion. Most significantly, it was Mary who suggested the baking of a witch-cake to John Indian, an act of folk magic intended to discover who was tormenting the girls.
Sarah Houlton/Samuel Holten House
House owned by Benjamin and Sarah Houlten. Following an argument with Rebecca Nurse in 1689, Benjamin became gravely ill and ultimately passed away. Though not formally accused at the time, Sarah Houlten blamed Rebecca Nurse for her husband’s death, and testified against her during the 1692 witchcraft trials.
Sarah Osborne House
273 Maple Street opposite Gorman Road.
This house, constructed c. 1660, was the home of Sarah Osborne in 1692. Sarah Osborne, Sarah Good, and Tituba Indian were the first persons accused of witchcraft by the circle of girls.
Second Meetinghouse, Site of/First Church of Danvers
The new meetinghouse, built in 1701, was the site where reconciliation began following the witchcraft trials of 1692. It was here where Ann Putnam Jr. offered apologies to the congregation for her role in the trials, fourteen years later, at the age of 29.
Thomas and Rebecca (Nurse) Preston House
Location of the home of Rebecca and Thomas Preston, daughter and son-in-law of Rebecca Nurse.
Thomas Haines House
Built in 1681 by innkeeper Thomas Haines, this house was occupied by Haines and his wife Sarah until 1703. Thomas Haines was one of the villagers to post bail for Reverend George Burroughs following his arrest for debt, and was later involved in the trial of William Hobbs and the case of Daniel Wilkins mysterious death.
Village Training Field
Land willed by Nathaniel Ingersoll “to the inhabitants of the village for a training place forever.”
Formerly the Old Putnam Burying Ground. The wives of the first four ministers of Salem Village are buried here, as well as Danvers ministers Reverend Joseph Green, Peter Clark, Dr. Benjamin Wadsworth, Dr. Charles Rice, and Hiram Hook.
Watch House, Site of
Site of the Village watch house, built in 1676. A watch house was necessary for a frontier community in constant fear of Native American attack.
Site where witch trials accusers allegedly witnessed the spectral meetings of witches.
Witchcraft Victims’ Memorial
The initial events of the 1692 witch trials took place in Salem Village, modern-day Danvers, and many of those initially involved lived in this area. The Witchcraft Victims’ Memorial was erected in Danvers in 1992 to pay tribute to the individuals who lost their lives during the witch hysteria of 1692.
Old Burying Ground, Dorchester
In this ancient cemetery, beneath an imposing marble table stone adorned with skulls, lies buried William Stoughton, the chief justice of the Court of Oyer and Terminer. Stoughton was born in 1631 and graduated from Harvard College in 1650.
Welcome to Haverhill
Founded in 1640 and officially purchased from the Native American Pentuckets in 1642, this northern Massachusetts town was originally called Pentucket.
Buttonwoods Museum/John Ward House
Open in season Tuesday-Saturday, 10-5, Sunday 12-5
Adults $7; Children $3; Senior $5
Located at the intersection of Water and Mill Streets.
Old Burial Hill
Off Orne Street, immediately adjacent to Redd’s Pond.
Ambrose Gale House
17 Franklin Street, between Washington and Selman Streets.
Located at the intersection of Pond and Norman Streets.
Old Burying Ground
Rev Thomas Barnard House
John Proctor House
On Lowell Street, one-tenth mile south of its intersection with Prospect Street
Welcome to Salisbury
Salisbury is the northernmost town in Massachusetts, bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the east and New Hampshire to the north.
Colonial Burying Ground
Located on Route 1A, two-tenths of a mile east of its intersection with Route 110.
Robert Pike Historical Marker
Marks the location of the Robert Pike Homestead, built in 1639.
Welcome to Wenham
Wenham, MA, was once part of Salem. This small, rural town seven miles north of present-day Salem was incorporated in 1643.
132 Main Street, opposite its intersection with Monument Street.
Old Wenham Burying Ground
Located on Main Street (Route 1A) in Wenham, a short distance north of Wenham Lake.
106 Main Street in Wenham, a short distance north of the Wenham Burying Ground.