Use CTRL and scroll up to zoom in the map
Broad Street Cemetery
Located on Broad Street, between Winthrop and Summer Streets. Open to the public until dusk each day.
Jonathan Corwin House
The only structure still standing in Salem that has a direct connection to the witchcraft trials and is open to the public is the Witch House, on the corner of Essex and North Streets. This home, built circa 1675, was the residence of Judge Jonathan Corwin in 1692.
Mary Gedney’s Tavern/The Gedney House
By 1692, widow Mary Gedney was licensed to “sell drink out-of-doors” from this home, earning money that helped support her children. Mary Gedney, as well as her sister-in-law, both provided refreshments for the jurors and witnesses during the Salem witch trials.
Old Burying Point/Charter Street Cemetery
The Old Burying Point Cemetery, also known as the Charter Street Cemetery, is the oldest cemetery in Salem, and one of the oldest in the United States. Opened in 1637, it is the final resting place of several Salem notables. (King’s Chapel Burying Ground in Boston is the oldest, founded in 1630.)
Path from Jail to Execution
In 1692, convicted witches would be picked up at the jail, loaded into a cart, and escorted to the execution site by High Sheriff George Corwin, who would sign their death warrants. The path led south on Prison Lane (today St. Peter Street), right on Main Street (today Essex Street) heading west to the edge of town.
Proctor’s Ledge Memorial
A simple memorial, designed by landscape architect Martha Lyon, was dedicated on July 19, 2017, the 325th anniversary of the hangings of Sarah Good, Elizabeth Howe, Susannah Martin, Rebecca Nurse, and Sarah Wildes. Embedded in the semi-circular wall are stones engraved with the names of the nineteen victims.
Saint Peter’s Church
This church was established In 1733 largely through the support of the wealthy Salem merchant Philip English. English was accused of witchcraft in 1692, but ultimately escaped from prison and fled to New York to wait out the witch trials.
Salem is the county seat of Essex, Massachusetts. It was founded in 1626 by Roger Conant and incorporated three years later.
Salem Public Library
370 Essex Street
Salem Witch Trials Memorial
Located just off Charter Street, on Liberty Street, is Salem’s simple yet dramatic memorial to the 20 victims of the witch trials of 1692. This memorial was erected to mark the 300th anniversary of the Salem witch trials. The Witch Trials Memorial was dedicated on August 5, 1992 by Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor, and author Elie Wiesel, who noted, “If I can’t stop all of the hate all over the world in all of the people, I can stop it in one place within me,” adding, “We still have our Salems.”
Site of Alice Parker Home
Alice Parker lived on the Salem waterfront. She was accused of witchcraft in the spring of 1692, and hanged on September 22.
Site of Ann Pudeator Home
This is the site where the wealthy 70-year-old widow Ann Pudeator lived in 1692. Among other accusations, it was claimed that she had killed her two husbands. Pudeator was executed on September 22.
Site of Blue Anchor Tavern
The Blue Anchor Tavern was one of many taverns in Salem in 1692.
Site of John Hathorne Home
Judge John Hathorne was one of the most vocal participants during the Salem witch trials. Judge Hathorne lived south of the Town House/Salem Courthouse in 1692, on present-day Washington Street, a short walk from home to court.
Site of John Higginson Jr.’s Home
Just down the street from the Reverend John Higginson’s property (where the Salem Witch Museum is today) was the home of his son, Captain John Higginson Jr. He was sworn in as a new Salem magistrate in July of 1692.
Site of Philip and Mary English Home
Philip and Mary English were accused of witchcraft in 1692. Their “Great House” was located in the vicinity of 11 Essex Street.
Site of Reverend Higginson Home/Salem Witch Museum
In 1692, the property where the museum and one building on each side stand today belonged to Reverend John Higginson. It is believed his home was located close to the street, approximately where the museum is located. At 76, Reverend Higginson was the elderly minister of Salem, assisted by the 45-year-old Nicholas Noyes. Reverend Higginson’s adult daughter, Ann Dolliver, was accused of witchcraft during the hysteria, and imprisoned.
Site of Reverend Nicholas Noyes Home
Nicholas Noyes was the assistant reverend in Salem during the witchcraft trials of 1692. The site of his home was approximately at 90 Washington Street.
Site of Salem Jail in 1692
In 1692, the Salem jail was located on Prison Lane, today known as St. Peter Street. The building, at the corner of Prison Lane and County Street (present-day Federal Street) measured “thirteen feet stud, and twenty feet square, accommodated with a yard.”
Site of Ship Tavern/Widow Gedney’s
The Ship Tavern was a successful business owned by Judge Bartholomew Gedney’s father. Located on Main Street in 1692, present-day Essex Street, it was in the very center of town.
Site of Stephen Sewall Home
The Court Clerk during the witchcraft trials was Stephen Sewall, whose home was located in the vicinity of 1 Sewall Street.
Site of the Meetinghouse of the First Church in Salem
Established in 1629, the Meetinghouse of the First Church stood at the intersection of present-day Washington and Essex Streets in 1692, on the southeast corner.
Site of the Salem Courthouse in 1692
The location of the 1692 Courthouse is noted on a marker at 70 Washington Street.
Site of Thomas Beadle’s Tavern
There were many taverns in Salem in 1692, two of which were owned by the Beadle brothers, Thomas and Samuel. It was in Thomas Beadle’s Tavern, on the south side of Main Street (present-day Essex Street) and east of Salem Common that some of the accused were detained.
The House of the Seven Gables/Turner-Ingersoll Mansion
In 1668, sea captain John Turner built a multi-room house on the Salem waterfront. This house eventually came into the possession of Susanna Ingersoll, who was often visited at her home by her younger cousin, Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Originally part of Salisbury, MA (1640), “New Town,” on the left bank of the Powwow River (a tributary of the Merrimack) officially became Amesbury in 1668.
Open Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm, Memorial Day to Labor Day. Donations appreciated.
The Macy-Colby House is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Susannah Martin House Marker
Marker of Susannah Martin’s House located at the end of Martin Road, which intersects with Route 110 about one-half mile west of the intersection of Routes 110 and 150.
In 1692, North Andover was known simply as “Andover.” It became embroiled in the witchcraft in July 1692 when Joseph Ballard brought several of the afflicted girls there to determine the cause of his wife’s illness.
Ancient Burial Ground
Reverend John Hale, minister in Beverly, is buried here in the Hale family plot.
Ancient North Beverly Cemetery
Ancient North Beverly Cemetery
Beverly Historical Society
Located at 117 Cabot Street between Franklin Place and Central Street).
John Hale House
Hale built this house in 1694 and lived here until his death on 15 May 1700. A graduate of Harvard College in 1657, Hale became minister of the First Church in Beverly in 1665, a position he held for over thirty years.
Copp’s Hill Burying Ground
Mather Tomb: beneath a simple table stone are buried three ministers of the powerful Mather family: Increase, Cotton, and Samuel–father, son, and grandson, respectively.
Granary Burying Ground
Samuel Sewall, a justice on the Court of Oyer and Terminer, is buried beneath a red sandstone table stone in the northwest portion of the cemetery (Plate 18). The stone’s surface is inscribed: “Honl. Judge Sewall’s Tomb Now the property of his Heirs Philip R. Ridgway 1810 Ralph Huntington 1812 No. 185 Ralph Huntington.”
King’s Chapel Burial Ground
Located at the intersection of Tremont and School Streets. Two people connected with the witchcraft are buried here. Also remembered here are: Major General Wait Still Winthrop, Thomas Brattle, and Thomas Newton
Danvers Historical Society
13 Page St, Danvers, MA 01923
Corner of Hobart and Centre Streets.
Foundations of the 1692 Parsonage
Located behind 67 Centre Street.
These are the foundations of the Salem Village parsonage where the hysteria began.
Joseph Putnam House
Southeast portion of cloverleaf intersection of Route 1 and Route 62.
Nathaniel Ingersoll’s Ordinary
199 Hobart St, Danvers, MA 01923
Located off a small asphalt path which begins at the entrance road to the Massachusetts Department of Public Works on Route 62, just west of its intersection with Route 1.
Rebecca Nurse House
149 Pine Street, located near the intersection of Pine and Adams Streets.
The Rebecca Nurse Homestead is owned and operated by the Danvers Alarm List Company.
Sarah Bishop House
238 Conant Street
Accused witches Sarah and Edward Bishop lived in this house in 1692. Examined in Salem Village on April 22 and held for trial, they escaped from Salem jail in October, and avoided execution.
Sarah Holten House
171 Holten Street at the intersection of Holten and Centre Streets.
Sarah Osborne House
273 Maple Street opposite Gorman Road.
This house, constructed c. 1660, was the home of Sarah Osborne in 1692. Sarah Osborne, Sarah Good, and Tituba Indian were the first persons accused of witchcraft by the circle of girls.
Site of Bridget Bishop Home and Orchards
Bridget Bishop was not the first to be accused of witchcraft but she was the first to be executed for the crime in 1692. At the time of the trials, she was married to her third husband, the elderly sawyer Edward Bishop. When arrested, Bridget was living on the property she inherited from her second husband Thomas Oliver, on present-day Washington Street in Salem Town.
Located on Summer Street, about one-tenth mile north of its intersection with Maple Street. Several persons connected with the hysteria are buried here.
Old Burying Ground, Dorchester
In this ancient cemetery, beneath an imposing marble table stone adorned with skulls, lies buried William Stoughton, the chief justice of the Court of Oyer and Terminer. Stoughton was born in 1631 and graduated from Harvard College in 1650.
Buttonwoods Museum/John Ward House
Open in season Tuesday-Saturday, 10-5, Sunday 12-5
Adults $7; Children $3; Senior $5
Founded in 1640 and officially purchased from the Native American Pentuckets in 1642, this northern Massachusetts town was originally called Pentucket.
Located at the intersection of Water and Mill Streets.
Ambrose Gale House
17 Franklin Street, between Washington and Selman Streets.
Old Burial Hill
Off Orne Street, immediately adjacent to Redd’s Pond.
Located at the intersection of Pond and Norman Streets.
Old Burying Ground
Rev Thomas Barnard House
John Proctor House
On Lowell Street, one-tenth mile south of its intersection with Prospect Street
Essex Street Burying Ground, Roxbury
Located at the intersection of Eustis and Washington Streets in Roxbury.
Colonial Burying Ground
Located on Route 1A, two-tenths of a mile east of its intersection with Route 110.
Robert Pike Historical Marker
Marks the location of the Robert Pike Homestead, built in 1639.
Salisbury is the northernmost town in Massachusetts, bordered by the Atlantic Ocean to the east and New Hampshire to the north.
132 Main Street, opposite its intersection with Monument Street.
Old Wenham Burying Ground
Located on Main Street (Route 1A) in Wenham, a short distance north of Wenham Lake.
106 Main Street in Wenham, a short distance north of the Wenham Burying Ground.
Wenham, MA, was once part of Salem. This small, rural town seven miles north of present-day Salem was incorporated in 1643.